Powder Springs incorporated as Springville in 1838 on the lands of two Cherokee Indian chiefs, Chief Nose and Chief Ana Kanasta (Sweetwater). Prospectors had found gold in the state ten years earlier, and so get-rich-quick hopefuls flocked to Springville to mine and pan more. Despite their efforts, the prospectors found little in the mines at Lost Mountain and off Brownsville Road. Sadly - and ironically - at about this same time, the U.S. government forced Cherokee Indians off their lands and marched them to Oklahoma on the "Trail of Tears." In 1859, the city name changed to Powder Springs, a name derived from the seven springs in the city limits. The water in these springs contains some 26 minerals, ones that turn the surrounding sand black, like gunpowder – hence the name Gunpowder Springs. People have continued to find their way to Powder Springs since 1838. Its mild climate, rich soil and inviting springs offer health and recreation.
Listings identified with the FMLS IDX logo come from FMLS, are held by brokerage firms other than the owner of this website and the listing brokerage is identified in any listing details. Information is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed. © 2019 First Multiple Listing Service, Inc. Last updated: 2/22/2019
The data relating to real estate for sale on this web site comes in part from the Broker Reciprocity Program of Georgia MLS real estate. Listings held by other brokerage firms are marked with the Broker Reciprocity logo and detailed information about them includes the name of the listing brokers. Information is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed. Copyright 2019 Georgia MLS. All righst reserved.